Bob Henley was named Lawyer of the Year in Family Law, Richmond, Virginia for 2019 by Best Lawyers in America. He is listed in Virginia Super Lawyers® and was named among the “Legal Elite” by Virginia Business magazine. He is peer review rated AV, Preeminent, by Martindale-Hubbell. He is a member of the Board of Governors of the Family Law Section of the Virginia State Bar and is a member of the committee that organizes statewide family law continuing legal education programs.
Bob Henley’s practice focuses on family law including divorce, pre-marital and separation agreements, property division, custody, child and spousal support, and valuation and classification of closely-held business and real estate interests. He has a wide range of legal experience and brings a broad perspective to family law including commercial real estate litigation and business transactions such as purchases, sales, assemblage of land, development, construction, leasing and financing. He has represented corporations, partnerships and limited liability companies, has prepared wills and trusts and has handled estate, business, real estate, personal injury and medical malpractice litigation.
Mr. Henley is a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. The Academy, which was founded in 1962, states in its website that its purpose is “to provide leadership that promotes the highest degree of professionalism and excellence in the practice of family law. The Academy Fellows are highly skilled negotiators and litigators who represent individuals in all facets of family law. To be represented by a Fellow of The American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers is to be represented by a leading practitioner in the field of family law. The 1,600 Academy Fellows across the United States are generally recognized by Judges and attorneys as preeminent family law practitioners with a high level of knowledge, skill and integrity.” He is one of only 51 Virginia family law practitioners selected for membership.
He is past president of the Metro Richmond Family Law Bar Association and is a former officer and director of the Real Estate Section of the Richmond Bar Association.
Bob counsels clients of all ages, including those in the Boomer generation. He was quoted in the October 2017 issue of Boomer magazine, where he made comments about family law concerns pertaining to second marriages. View here.
- Represented parties in divorce litigation involving fault and no fault grounds of divorce, complex equitable distribution, classification of separate and marital property, spousal support, child custody, spousal and child support.
- Represented parties in divorce litigation involving valuation of closely held businesses.
- Represented parties in divorce litigation involving classification and complex tracing of marital and separate assets.
- Prepared, negotiated and litigated premarital, post marital and separation agreements.
- Represented parties in mediation and settlement of family law disputes including custody, support and equitable distribution.
- Represented beneficiaries of complex estate in trial and subsequent appeal to the Virginia Supreme Court.
- Represented developers in acquisition of multiple parcels of land, financing, development of residential subdivisions and multi-use office and industrial parks, construction of buildings, leasing of office space and sale of buildings and developed parcels.
- Represented buyers and sellers in Section 1031 Tax Deferred Exchanges of real property.
- Represented lending institutions in financing office, industrial and residential properties.
- Represented lending institutions in workouts and restructuring of commercial real estate loans.
- Represented landlords and tenants (including both Stiles Ewing Powers PC and his former law firm, Parker Pollard & Brown P.C.) in negotiation and drafting of commercial leases.
- Represented entrepreneurs and developers in formation of business entities such as limited liability companies, corporations and partnerships.
- Represented developers in formation of condominiums, property acquisition, financing and construction and sale of residential and business condominiums.
- Represented developers in creation of restrictive covenants and owners associations for residential and commercial real estate.
- Represented owners, contractors, mortgage lenders and insurance companies in easement, title, mechanics’ lien and title insurance litigation.
- Represented an insurgent shareholder group in a successful proxy battle for control of the Board of Directors of a publicly held lending institution.
- Moderator, Family Law Seminar, 2018
- The Nuts and Bolts of Foreign Divorces and their Implications in Virginia, The American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers and the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, 2014
- Will It Ever End? Handling Post-Divorce Issues, The Virginia State Bar, 2013
- Joint/Shared Custody Issues and Considerations, 2013
- Presentation of Opinion Testimony by Business Valuation Expert Witnesses, 2010
- How to Do Them Right, Loan Issues, Real Estate Purchases and Sale Transaction, 2004
- Handling Financing Issues, Commercial Real Estate Transactions, Virginia, Listing through Closing, 2004
Past Employment Positions
- Parker, Pollard & Brown, PC, Shareholder, Chairman, Business Real Estate Practice Section, 1999 – 2006
- Rothenberg, Henley & Robertson, PC, Shareholder, President, 1978 – 1999
- Robert M. Musselman & Assoc., Charlottesville, VA,, 1977 – 1978
Areas of Practice
- Family Law
- Premarital Agreements
- Separation Agreements
- Property Division
- Child Support
- Spousal Support
- Practice Devoted to Litigation and Resolving Disputed Matters
- Virginia, 1977
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia, 1977
- U.S. District Court Western District of Virginia, 1977
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 1985
J.D. – The College of William and Mary, Marshall-Wythe School of Law, Williamsburg, Virginia, 1977
B.A. – University of Virginia, 1974
- Wright v. Wright, VA Court of Appeals, 2012
- Schmidt v. Wachovia Bank, N.A., 271 Va 20 (2006)
- Westerberg v. Westerberg, 9 Va App 248 (1989)
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America
- Lawyer of the Year, Family Law, 2019
- Virginia Super Lawyer®
- Virginia Business “Legal Elite”
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Peer Rating
- Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Virginia State Bar, Board of Governors, Family Law Section
- Virginia Bar Association
- Metro Richmond Family Law Bar Association – Past President
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers – Fellow
- Richmond Bar Association, Real Estate Section – former director