Child Relocation

Legal Help with Child Relocation Cases in Virginia Family Court

If you are a custodial parent wishing to move with your child any significant distance away from your current home, you must notify the other parent and you must seek permission from a family court judge.

While a parent can move wherever they choose, the court and the non-custodial parent have an interest in whether and where a child moves. Relocation may help the parent but that does not mean it is in the best interest of the child.

When making a parental relocation decision, the family court judge will look at a number of factors to determine if there is an independent benefit for the child to move away:

  • Will there be more family support in the new location?
  • Are the schools better?
  • Is the community safer?
  • Are there health reasons for the parental relocation?
  • How will it impact the relationship the child has with the parent who does not move?

A child relocation case is a very difficult case to handle. The child custody lawyers at Stiles Ewing Powers PC have handled hundreds of parental-child relocation cases and child custody disputes both within Virginia, out of state, and out of the country. In fact, we are one of the few firms in the area with experience handling international child custody cases involving the Hague convention.

We represent parents on both sides of the issue — parents who wish to relocate with their child and parents who wish to prevent their child from moving. If you are going to court on a child relocation matter, contact our Richmond law office to schedule a consultation.

An experienced family law attorney at our firm will look at the circumstances of the current and proposed relocation and advise you on how a family court judge is likely to view the request. We will guide you through the process of seeking a modification of a court order.

If both parents are in agreement about the relocation, you will still need the court to approve the change to your custody and visitation agreement. We can help you take your case back to court and can work with you to develop an appropriate visitation schedule and child support order that factors in the additional costs the non-custodial parent will face.

Talk with one of our family law attorneys about the needs of your family and your child when it comes to a parental relocation decision. Contact our Virginia law office online or call 804.545.9800.

Request A Consultation

  • Best Law Firms US News & World Report
  • Martindale
  • AAML
  • Super Lawyers
  • Best Lawyers
  • Legal Elite