Player Michelsen is experienced in handling all aspects of family law matters. While it is her primary goal to help her clients achieve the best possible outcome through settlement or alternate dispute resolution, Ms. Michelsen approaches each case as if the matter may go to trial. She focuses on mastering the facts and identifying the issues as early as possible so that she can effectively advise the client and prepare to obtain the best results in whatever manner the case is resolved. She also views counseling as an important component of matrimonial matters. This comes not only through her legal advice, but also sharing with clients the possibility and methods of resolving marital conflicts and where possible taking steps to try to avoid divorce.
When litigation is unavoidable, Ms. Michelsen calls on her experience in Virginia courts at all levels including both Juvenile & Domestic Relations and Circuit Courts. She also has experience at the appellate level at the Virginia Court of Appeals and the Virginia Supreme Court. Her areas of practice range from cases involving complex property and financial issues to custody and child and spousal support matters and all other areas related to family law. She can also assist clients with estate planning issues.
Ms. Michelsen graduated cum laude from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst with a Bachelor of Arts degree in History. She obtained her law degree from the T. C. Williams School of Law at the University of Richmond in 1991 and then began immediately her legal career in the field of family law. She has written and published articles on the subject of family law and is a member of several associations and legal organizations. Ms. Michelsen was named to the 2015 Virginia Business Legal Elite.
Past Employment Positions
- Butler Armstrong, LLP
- Donald K. Butler & Associates
- Morano, Colan & Butler
Areas of Practice
- Child Custody and Visitation
- Child and Spousal Support
- Complex Equitable Distribution
- Premarital and Post-marital Agreements
- Separation Agreements
- Cohabitation Agreements
- Property Settlement Agreements
- Appeals to the Virginia Court of Appeals and Virginia Supreme Court
- Estate Planning
- Virginia, 1991
- University of Richmond, The T.C. Williams School of Law, Richmond, Virginia 1991, J.D.
- The University of Massachusetts at Amherst, B.A. History 1987, cum laude
Honors & Awards
- Virginia Business Legal Elite, 2015
- People’s Choice Award, Richmond Times Dispatch
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Metro Richmond Family Bar Association, Vice President, 2017-2018; Secretary, 2016-2017
- Virginia State Bar, Family Law Section, Estate Planning Section
- Richmond Bar Association Bench/Bar Conference, Committee Member, 2017
- Richmond Metropolitan Women’s Bar Association, Legislative Committee, Mentorship Program
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Henrico County Bar Association